John Henry claims FSG’s commitment to Liverpool ‘remains stronger than ever’
John Henry claims FSG’s commitment to Liverpool ‘remains stronger than ever’ despite the club being put up for sale in November… as he insists the Reds must continue to build in a ‘responsible manner’
- Liverpool were put up for sale by US owners Fenway Sports Group in November
- Principal owner John W. Henry then ruled out a full sale of the club in February
- The American insisted the group are still as committed as ever to the Reds
Liverpool principal owner John W. Henry has insisted Fenway Sports Group’s commitment ‘remains stronger than ever’ as they target further investment into the club.
Henry announced last month that Liverpool would not be sold outright, four months after the first story broke that they were considering a sale.
He revealed FSG were still seeking a third party who could add to their investment and continue to grow the club.
Henry also explained the group remain committed to the long-term success of the club.
‘While we formalised a process that has identified potential investors for the club, we remain fully committed to the long-term success of the club,’ Henry told the Liverpool ECHO.
Reds owner John Henry insisted FSG’s commitment to the club ‘remains stronger than ever’
The group had put Liverpool up for sale back in November, having taken over the club in 2010
‘That has been the case since day one in 2010. Our efforts every day have been and continue to be focused on the long-term health and competitiveness of the club. Investment in the club is never for the short-term.
‘This approach has been successful over the long haul with patience necessary from time to time.
‘In regard to Liverpool Football Club our commitment remains stronger than ever.’
FSG have recently faced criticism for a perceived lack of investment in the playing squad, despite success under manager Jurgen Klopp.
A banner was flown over Anfield during Liverpool’s historic 7-0 win over Manchester United on Sunday which read ‘FSG out – Klopp In – Enough is Enough.’
Liverpool are expected to spend heavily in the summer transfer window to rebuild the squad, but Henry claimed investment needs to be made in a sustainable way.
‘We continue building at Liverpool Football Club in a responsible manner,’ Henry said. ‘We’ve seen many football clubs go down unsustainable paths.
‘We have and will continue to focus our attention on investing wisely in the transfer market and we remain incredibly proud of our squad.
‘At the same time we continue investing in our training facilities, our main stand and currently the Anfield Road stand.
FSG have faced criticism from fans for a lack of investment (pictured – Reds chairman Tom Werner (L), FSG president Mike Gordon (C) and Liverpool’s principal owner Henry (R))
Liverpool have enjoyed an incredible period of success under boss Jurgen Klopp since 2015
‘These are all physical reflections of our resolve and how very seriously Fenway Sports Group takes its responsibilities for this great club.’
The Liverpool owner also admitted the club faces financial challenges to continue competing at the top end of the Premier League and offered his backing to spending limits.
He added: ‘The Premier League itself is extraordinarily successful and is the greatest football competition in the world, but we’ve thought for some time there should be limits on spending so that the league doesn’t go the way of European leagues where one or two clubs annually have little competition.
‘Excitement depends on competition and is the most important component of the Premier League.’