Jewison Bennette late show stuns Watford and saves point for Sunderland | Championship

Tony Mowbray said Jewison Bennette is struggling with the language barrier after the Costa Rican rescued a point in an enthralling 2-2 draw against Watford at Vicarage Road.

The Sunderland manager sent on a quartet of substitutes including Bennette, who scored his side’s 86th-minute equaliser. Mowbray said: “Jewi really can’t communicate with anyone at the club yet. He literally finds it difficult to understand anything we tell him. He just smiles at everything.

“That’s the same for a few of the substitutes I put on today. When they stood on a chair and sang their initiation songs, they were all in French, so they got clapped off pretty quickly.

“But as a club, we will help them with that and get them lessons. That’s a lot better for them than sitting in a hotel room and trying to learn it through television.

The real positive is that the young lads helped us recover from 2-1 down today and get a point, which will help them.

“But if they hadn’t done it in training, I wouldn’t have put them on. You can’t keep knocking them back and leaving them on the bench.”

Keinan Davis opens the scoring for Watford against Sunderland
Keinan Davis opens the scoring for Watford against Sunderland. Photograph: Simon Dael/Shutterstock

Mowbray believes Sunderland’s haul of four points from trips to Reading and Watford in the space of four days will allow him more time to blend the players he has inherited from Alex Neil into his own side.

He added: “Four points on the road against two teams, one with huge expectations to do really well [Watford] and one [Reading] which has started the season really well, helps the process of getting where we want to be.”

For Watford’s manager, Rob Edwards, it was a third straight match without a win for his team, but he is not unduly worried. He said: “I’m frustrated with the result but overall I saw a lot of positive signs today. For a 20-minute spell after half-time I saw the team that we want to be for 90 minutes.

Quick Guide

League One roundup: Owls deny Ipswich



Sheffield Wednesday fought back with two late goals to draw 2-2 with leaders Ipswich at Hillsborough.

Kayden Jackson had put the Tractor Boys ahead after just four minutes and when Owls defender Dominic Iorfa put through his own net with 20 minutes left, there looked to be no way back. However, George Byers reduced the deficit before Michael Smith headed in an 89th-minute equaliser.

Portsmouth remain level on points with Ipswich after also scoring a late goal to draw 2-2 against Plymouth, who finished with 10 men at Fratton Park.

Pompey midfielder Josh Koroma broke the deadlock five minutes before the break, but the Pilgrims had turned things around after an own goal from Sean Raggett and substitute Niall Ennis’ strike with 11 minutes left. Argyle substitute Brendan Galloway was then sent off after collecting two late cautions, and Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, who had not long come on, headed in an equaliser during the third minute of stoppage time.

Bolton are fifth after a late goal from Dapo Afolayan saw them beat Peterborough 1-0.

Barnsley sit sixth after a 3-0 win at Cambridge, despite having midfielder Liam Kitching sent off during the second half. Devante Cole put the Tykes ahead in the 24th minute. Kitching was shown a second yellow card in the 68th minute, but Barnsley got a second through Robbie Cundy’s header. James Norwood added a third in stoppage time

Jack Diamond scored a hat-trick as Lincoln won 6-3 at Bristol Rovers. Ben House had give Lincoln an early lead, with Diamond adding a second from the penalty spot. Aaron Collins reduced the deficit in the 18th minute, but Diamond struck again just before the break. Matthew Virtue made it 4-1 soon after the restart, with Diamond completing his hat-trick in the 56th minute. Ryan Loft pulled another goal back for Rovers, but Ben House added a sixth for the Imps on the hour.

Bottom club Burton finally registered a victory as they won 2-0 at Exeter. Deji Oshilaja and Davis Kellior-Dunn struck for the Brewers, who recently parted company with manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, during the second half.

Forest Green‘s struggles continued as they were beaten 2-1 at home by fellow strugglers Morecambe, who struck a stoppage-time winner from Farrend Rawson.

MK Dons won 2-1 at Oxford. Matthew Smith gave the Dons the lead just before half-time, with Will Grigg adding a late second from the penalty spot before John Mousinho nodded in a consolation.

Sean McConville’s goal after just 32 seconds proved enough to give Accrington a 1-0 home win over Cheltenham.

Conor Hourihane struck twice during the closing stages as Derby came from behind to beat Wycombe 2-1.

Fleetwood and Charlton drew 1-1. Callum Morton broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark, before Miles Leaburn equalised with 13 minutes left. Ellis Harrison headed in a stoppage-time winner, his second goal of the game, as Port Vale beat Shrewsbury 2-1.

Photograph: Paul Thompson/Rex Features

Thank you for your feedback.

There are lots of good signs. But we need to maintain that consistency within games.

“It’s amazing how goals can change games. We got the second goal and it’s happened a few times now that we’ve scored and then switched off a bit. We want to have that intensity for the full game.

“I can’t fault the efforts and commitment of the players. What I want us to learn from is that when we’re on top and in the ascendancy, we need to ride that as long as we can.”

Edwards’ side led first through Keinan Davis and then Luke O’Nien’s own goal. The manager said he was disappointed with the manner of Sunderland’s equaliers. The first was given when Aji Alese’s shot was adjudged to have rolled across the line by goalline technology, while Watford’s defenders left Bennette unmarked for the second.

Quick Guide

League Two: Beckles extends Orient lead



Omar Beckles fired leaders Leyton Orient to a 1-0 win over Walsall to maintain their 100% home record. League Two’s only unbeaten side secured the points after Beckles struck from a corner just before the hour mark.

Andy Cook scored twice and Tyreik Wright added a third as Bradford inflicted a 3-0 defeat on high-flying Stevenage, although the Bantams had Brad Halliday sent off with a minute left.

Barrow climbed above Stevenage into second as two goals from Josh Gordon, the second a penalty, fired them to a 2-0 win at Newport.

Northampton are up to third after Sam Hoskins took his tally for the season to 10 with two goals in a 3-0 victory over rock-bottom Rochdale. Jon Guthrie grabbed the opener three minutes before half-time before Hoskins headed in the rebound after his 73rd-minute penalty was saved and wrapped up the scoring with 10 minutes remaining.

A third goal of the season from Josh Hawkes gave Tranmere a surprise 1-0 win at Salford, who were previously unbeaten at home.

Second-half strikes from Will Randall and Harry Beautyman for Sutton condemned Hartlepool to a 2-0 defeat and stretched their winless run to 18 matches.

Kristian Dennis headed the winner for Carlisle as they beat AFC Wimbledon 2-1. Mansfield secured a 2-0 win at Gillingham through goals from Lukas Akins – who also had a penalty saved by Glenn Morris – and George Lapslie.

Harry Clifton fired Grimsby to a 1-0 win at Colchester and Courtney Baker-Richardson’s sixth goal of the season saw Crewe beat Crawley by the same score.

Swindon were 1-0 winners at Doncaster thanks to Jacob Wakeling’s goal and Stockport versus Harrogate ended 0-0.

Photograph: Gavin Ellis/Rex Features

Thank you for your feedback.

Edwards added: “I wasn’t sure what the referee had given. I thought it might have been a free-kick because there didn’t seem to be any appeals from Sunderland either so I was surprised when they started celebrating.

“There are lots of things we can address and some basics that we need to tighten up on.”

Source link

See also  Nottingham Forest boss Steve Cooper says he needs a 'settled squad' after making 23 signings